These Spelt Chocolate Chip Cookies are a new addition in our house. They’re a recipe I’ve made a few times and tweaked a little and they have yet to disappoint. One thing I love about these cookies is that they’re really quick and easy to throw together. I’m a lover of eating cookies, and baking cookies, but sometimes I just want to be able to make a batch of cookies without softening butter and creaming it with sugar in my mixer. Sometimes I like cookies that I can get straight into the oven when a craving strikes or when I’m short on time. Usually in this situation my go-to cookie is the faithful Anzac cookie but now I also have these spelt chocolate chip cookies in my repertoire for some speedy baking.
These cookies are also dairy free and egg free, making them a good allergy friendly option if you need it. They do contain some nut products but I’ve included substitutions for making them nut-free if you need.
They freeze well so you can freeze some or all of them and use them for lunchbox treats. If you’re not keen on chocolate chips in the lunchbox then substitute these out for something else like sultanas, cranberries or seeds.
If you’re after a good quality dairy free chocolate chip that tastes amazing I like to use these ones here from Honest to Goodness, which is where I get the majority of my pantry staples from.
- 2 cups white spelt flour
- 1 cup almond meal (see notes for nut-free substitutions)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup macadamia oil (see notes for nut-free subsitutions)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (dairy free if you require)
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line two baking sheets with paper or reusable silicone mats.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, maple syrup and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the spelt flour, almond meal, salt and baking powder until combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Add in the chocolate chips and fold through.
- Using a tablespoon measure, scoop out a ball of dough and roll into a ball and flatten slightly between your palms. Place each flattened dough ball onto the baking sheet, approx 3cm apart.
- Bake in the oven until cookies are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Use flaxseed (linseed) meal, sunflower seed meal or an extra cup of spelt flour
- Use coconut oil, a light-flavoured olive oil or avocado oil.
- Try sultanas, raisins, cranberries, hemp seeds, pepitas or a combination of these.