With Miss M turning one recently we’ve been busy with all the 12 month check-ups and weigh in’s. When she was born she arrived 5 weeks early and was on the small side (15th percentile). She has always been tracked by her actual age vs. her corrected age for all her growth patterns and whilst her growth was steady for the first 6 months it’s the last 6 months that’s seen her sky-rocket into the 60th percentile (cue proud-mama fist pump). This means that she no longer has to be tracked by both ages, she has grown into a happy, healthy and thriving toddler.
I have no doubt that a lot of that growth has to do with the truckloads of food she eats every day. I honestly thought her eating habits were quite normal but the more I talk to other mothers and read about other toddlers I realise just how much more she eats than the average 12 month old. I’ve been really lucky (so far) that she will eat pretty much anything I offer her, except good ol’ broccoli. So I’ve been busy experimenting with different finger foods for her and discovering new ways of sneaking green veggies into her meals.
These salmon, quinoa and vegetable balls are my latest creation in the world of toddler finger foods. They are full of fresh, nourishing, wholefood ingredients and best of all, Miss M has no idea she is eating broccoli. The addition of salmon also adds a dose of healthy omega-3 fats, which are essential for growth and brain development.
You can even make a batch and freeze them so you always have something healthy ready to go, and they make great lunchbox snacks and ensure that your child is still eating vegetables throughout the day.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup sweet potato, diced
- 1/2 cup zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup broccoli
- 120g can salmon, no bones
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Rinse quinoa under running water until water runs clear (this will remove the bitter taste)
- Add quinoa to saucepan and cover with 1 cup of boiling water, cover and cook on medium-low heat until all water has absorbed
- Steam all vegetables until cooked through
- Roughly mash vegetables and place into a large bowl
- Add cooked quinoa, salmon, flour and egg and mix until combined
- Roll mixture into balls (whatever size would suit your child) and place onto a lined baking tray
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve when cooled.
- Can be frozen