Just popping in this week with a quick recipe for these easy Salmon Fritters. I always find fritters to be such an easy meal to cook up and they can have endless combinations if you start playing around with your recipe.
Take this simple recipe for Salmon Fritters and you’ve got yourself a quick meal for anytime of the day and something perfect to add to the kid’s lunchbox. You can serve them on their own with a side salad or as a filling for a sandwich or wrap. I love them because they provide a good source of protein plus omega-3 and also have some veggies for added fibre.
Omega-3 is so important to include in our diets but particularly so for children. It encourages optimum brain development and is a potent anti-inflammatory. Providing children with direct sources of omega-3, such as those in salmon and other oily fish and seafood, is the optimal choice. This is because kid’s (especially babies and toddlers) find it difficult to convert plant sources of omega-3 (otherwise know as alpha-linolenic acid or ALA) at an efficient rate for the amounts that they need. So unless your child has a diagnosed allergy to seafood it is important to try and include rich sources of omega-3 in their diet on a regular basis.
Using good quality, wild-caught tinned salmon can be a budget-friendly way to include oily fish in your family’s diet on a weekly basis.
These Salmon Fritters are suitable for the whole family. For small children and baby-led weaners you can cut them into strips to make them easier to hold onto, or simple make smaller fritters to make them easier to hold. These may also be frozen if you don’t get a chance to eat them all.
If you’re looking for more recipes to include salmon in your child’s diet you can check out my Salmon, Quinoa & Vegetable Balls
- 1/2 zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 x 130g of skinless and boneless tinned salmon, drained
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- olive oil or coconut oil, for frying
- Place all the ingredients except the oil in a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat.
- Place 1/4 cup of salmon mixture into pan and flatten slightly into a round shape. Repeat until the pan is full.
- Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes each side until crispy and golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Repeat until all mixture is cooked.
- These are delicious served up with a squeeze of lemon juice and a delicious side salad.