Mexican would have to be one of my favourite cuisines and this Mexican Shredded Chicken is usually on high rotation at our dinner table. I find that when mexican is done right (and I’m not talking about those supermarket box kits) it can be a meal full of nutritious foods without feeling boring and it’s usually a great way to get a load of good food into the kids. I remember being pregnant with both my babies and absolutely baulking at the thought of eating a huge plate of veggies during my first trimester but I could of easily eaten mexican for every meal (and believe me, we ate A LOT of mexican in those months). I used to cram as many veggies and beans in as I could while I was making it and then I would always top it with a fresh salsa and guacamole.
This recipe is enough to serve 6-8 people so I often make a batch and then portion out and freeze the leftovers so I always have them handy for an emergency meal. This Mexican Shredded Chicken is really versatile and can be used to make a whole bunch of meals. Some of the ways we like to enjoy it are
- served on top of brown rice or quinoa to make a burrito bowl. We top ours with a fresh salsa made with diced tomato, red onion, coriander and lime juice (sometimes even with a little diced pineapple in there too) and some fresh guacamole and a dollop of sour cream
- using it as a filling for tacos.
- popping it inside some tortillas and baking them into enchiladas.
- using it to make loaded nachos (just make sure to drain off most of the sauce, no one wants soggy nachos).
For most of my mexican cooking at home I tend to use this pre-mixed blend of spices that you can find here, I just find it so much easier seeing as though we eat mexican at least once a week to have this on hand but if you can’t find this I’ll pop a substitution into the notes that you can use instead.
- 1kg boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 1 green capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 1 corn cob, kernels removed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons mexican seasoning (see notes for substitution)
- 800g canned diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 400g canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Using a large ovenproof pan, heat the oil on the stovetop over medium heat. Add the capsicum, corn and garlic and cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and spices and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and stock, then the chicken, turning to coat in sauce. Bring to boil.
- Cover dish and place in oven for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from dish and place in a heatproof dish and shred with two forks. Return to sauce mixture and add beans. Cook on stovetop for a further 10 minutes, until the beans are heated through and sauce has slightly reduced. Season to taste and serve.
- If you are unable to source the mexican seasoning that I've mentioned above then you may substitute with the following; 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, 2 teaspoons smoked paprika and 2 teaspoons ground coriander.