Although it’s a little later than I had originally anticipated I am finally back blogging in 2015. Our family holiday over Christmas break was wonderfully relaxing and spent in the company of good friends and family. I hope that all of yours was the same. I also received a gift that I’ve been waiting on for a few months now, my very own brand spanking new DSLR camera!!! Now I just have to get used to taking pictures for the blog which my new fancy camera, no more iPhone for me (which is lucky seeing as though a certain 1 year old smashed the screen over Christmas).
The summer nights here have been really warm this year, so warm in fact that I’ve been using the oven very selectively over the past month so as not to turn our whole house into what feels like a sauna. Often we will have some meat cooked on the BBQ with a side salad or I’ll quickly throw together a salad after Miss 1 has gone to sleep.
This Warm Chicken Salad is one of my favourites to make on a hot summers night. It has enough protein and healthy fats to satisfy the hunger of my husband (which is sometimes an entire task in it’s own) and packs a ton of flavour with only a few ingredients. I generally like to dress this one with a balsamic glaze but it’s also delicious with a homemade caesar dressing drizzled over the top.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 free-range chicken thighs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup semi-dried tomatoes
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 avocado
- 100 grams fetta
- balsamic glaze
- Slice chicken thighs into thin strips and set aside
- Heat oil in pan on medium-high heat and add garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add strips of chicken into pan and cook for 5 mins or until starting to brown.
- Add mushrooms into pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add semi-dried tomatoes to pan and heat through
- Meanwhile, remove skin and seed from avocado and dice.
- Assemble salad by layering spinach and chicken mixture. Top with diced avocado and crumbled fetta. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve,
- Double the recipe if you have a larger family or are feeding extra people